We partner with organizations to deliver the President's Volunteer Service Award to our nation’s volunteers. Certifying organizations (COs) are an essential part of the PVSA equation. A CO is an organization that has been granted authority through an application and review process to administer the PVSA to volunteers. We look to COs to verify that volunteers meet all requirements to be awarded the PVSA.
There are three easy steps to apply for participation in the program:
- Take the short e-course on the program. Once completed, you will receive a code to include as part of your application submission. The e-course is an annual requirement.
- Complete and submit the certifying organization application online.
- Once submitted, all applications are reviewed thoroughly with follow up sometimes required. Processing takes approximately 10-15 business days. You will receive an email notifying your organization of your status. Please be sure to add our email address to your contact information to ensure you receive all correspondence from our customer service team.
Who can become a certifying organization?
- Certifying Organizations must fall into one of these categories:
- Nonprofit (Does not have to be an official 501(c)3)
- Community-based organization
- Faith-based organization
- School (K12, college and universities)
- National Service Program
- Civic, fraternal or service organization
- Membership or Trade association
- Local, State or federal government agency
- Certifying Organizations must:
- Adhere to the terms and conditions of the President’s Volunteer Service Award and the program agreement.
- Be legally established in the U.S., Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or a U.S. territory.
- Certifying Organizations must either receive, facilitate or authorize the volunteer service.
Requirements of the Certifying Organization
- Verify volunteer hours required to earn award.
- Verify volunteers are U.S. citizens or lawfully admitted permanent U.S. residents.
- Pay nominal cost of PVSA awards, including shipping.
- Volunteers are not allowed to purchase their own awards
- Receive and distribute the awards package to volunteers.