Support Center

What service counts

Last Updated: Apr 10, 2017 12:03PM EDT

Volunteers must complete unpaid service which Certifying Organizations (CO) certify to award a PVSA. Certifying Organizations must receive, facilitate, or authorize the volunteer service. 

Eligible service must be unpaid and cannot be court-ordered. Most voluntary service is eligible, with the following exceptions: political lobbying, religious instruction, conducting worship service, proselytizing, and serving only family members. 

The only exception to the unpaid service requirement is for participants in national service programs such as AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, and the Peace Corps, who receive modest stipends. Following their service year, hours served through these programs may count towards a Lifetime Achievement Award. 

Ultimately, it is up to each CO to determine what hours will count toward an award. They have the discretion to decide if they want to award hours served only with their organization or also honor hours served elsewhere. 

If the organization you work with is not already registered as a CO, they may apply to become on to recognize your service. Speak with your organization and have them apply on our website under the “Get Involved” tab. All instructions on applying are under this page.
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found